Twenty-three years ago, I was entrusted by the voters of Fairfax County and the City of Fairfax with the responsibility of running the largest Circuit Court in the Commonwealth of Virginia. I had just turned 34 years old about three weeks before the election. I have never forgotten the honor that was given to me and the trust that was placed in me! Thank you for making it possible for me to serve as your Clerk of Court.
I need your help. I am running for re-election next year and I anticipate another tough re-election fight.
It is my belief that the Clerk’s office touches almost every household in Fairfax County and the City of Fairfax during the 8 year term of the Clerk. In the last 8 years have you or a family member gotten married; become a Notary Public; received a concealed handgun permit; started a small business and registered your trade name; bought, sold or refinanced your home; had an adoption, divorce or name change; probated the Will of a loved one? These are just a few of the over 800 statutory duties of the Clerk.
The Clerk of the Circuit Court is a low profile but very important job because it does affect the lives of so many people. Here are just a few of the things I have implemented to make our court better, more efficient, and more accessible to our community:
- Reduced jury duty from 8 weeks to 1 day or the length of 1 trial.
- Automated the jury selection process. When I was first elected, numbers were drawn out of a hat.
- Our jury system has withstood two legal challenges (in murder cases) because of the random selection process and the fact that our jurors reflect the diversity of our community.
- Automated the Probate system utilizing, electronic documents, electronic signatures, and electronic recording. Our “Virtual Probate System” won a National Association of County Recorders, Election Officials and Clerks (NACRC) Best Practices Award.
- Created an on-line marriage application system, so couples can have their marriage license printed out when they arrive at the courthouse, saving them valuable time. This system received a 2013 Governor’s Technology Significant Achievement Award.
- One of the first in the nation to automate the land records recording system.
- One of the first in the nation to implement electronic recording of land records.
- Expanded remote access to court records to include digital images of the actual actual records.
I am proud of my accomplishments, but I am also proud of the team I have working with me in the Clerk’s office. Without their hard work and dedication to public service none of these projects would have been possible! It has been an honor to serve as your Circuit Court Clerk for the past twenty-three years and I would like to continue that service.
Thank you in advance for your help and support in my re-election campaign.